Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kids with Cameras


One of the places I volunteer at is the Friends Association as a teachers assistant.
"FRIENDS Association for Children is a non-profit child and family agency that has served the Richmond, Virginia community since 1871.FRIENDS began as a post Civil-War orphanage in historic North Jackson Ward. Today, it operates three multi-service, state-of-the-art family centers in neighborhoods where the opportunity to succeed does not come easy. The mission of FRIENDS is to help children and families achieve their potential and become productive citizens."

I wanted to do a project with the kids and photography and it got approved yesterday and they are sending home the required paperwork to get it started!I am very excited! The idea was somewhat formulated by Kids with Cameras.

The project is going to be in 2 parts.

Part 1 is going to involve me taking photographs of all the kids that are there in the morning for day care. They range in age from 2-5. I want to do candid's of the kids in their environment, I am going to be shooting in color but hopefully Photoshop some of the images to black and white. I am hoping for good weather on the day I shoot so that I can get them playing outside as well.

Part 2 is working with the kids. There are four 5 years old's that are graduating and will be going to kinder garden next year so I am going to let each of them take home a digital camera and photograph whatever they want. I want to first meet with them, show them how to use the digital camera and maybe show images of how photography is art through your eyes, maybe they will see the world differently?

After Part 1 and 2 are done, I will sort through my images and the sit with the 5 years old's to sort through theirs and we'll pick the best images for display. I want to create a exhibition of my photos and the kids photos to be displayed in the Friends center. I think the kids will feel a sense of self worth, having their artwork displayed. If this project is successful this year then we might continue it every year with the graduating kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment